International Relations traditionally concerns itself mostly with politics,law,war,economy and energy with state to state relations. You have more than million options to select the topic for your thesis and dissertation.The only limitation is your own resources and timeline which you must consider while selecting the topic.Your selected topic must add new dimension to the already available literature and must address soem specif issues. Your supervisor might be very helpful in your topic selection and always give value to your supervisor option with your own addition of topics as well. Make sure whatever topic you select should have enough literature available from peer reviewed academic journals and not only from news sites and other platforms.This will help defend your dissertation at the end of your degree program.
Trending International Relations Topic for your thesis and dissertation
Following are some of the International relations trending topics in 2023 that you can choose for your dissertation. We have categorized each topic under main topic:
Diplomacy and International Relations:
- The Role of Soft Power in International Diplomacy: A Comparative Study of the United States and China
- Gendered Diplomacy: An Analysis of Women’s Participation in International Relations
- The Impact of International Trade Agreements on State Sovereignty: A Case Study of the European Union
- The Use of Social Media in Diplomacy: An Exploration of its Efficacy and Challenges
- Environmental Diplomacy: An Analysis of International Efforts to Address Climate Change
- The Impact of Cultural Diplomacy on International Relations: A Comparative Study of France and Germany
- Diplomatic Immunity and Human Rights: A Critical Analysis
- Conflict Resolution in International Diplomacy: A Case Study of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict
- The Role of Multilateralism in Global Governance: An Analysis of the United Nations
- The Politics of Humanitarian Intervention: A Comparative Study of the Responsibility to Protect and the Non-Intervention Principle.
- Global health engagement in diplomacy, intelligence and counterterrorism: a system of standards
- The digital transformation of diplomacy: Implications for the African Union and continental diplomacy.
- Traveling responsibly, but further to go: Australia’s new consular diplomacy.
- Foreign policy in an era of digital diplomacy.
- Cyber-diplomacy: the making of an international society in the digital age.
- Diplomacy in the Age of Globalization: The Challenges and Opportunities of a Changing World
- Power and Diplomacy in the 21st Century: A Comparative Analysis of China and the United States
- Public Diplomacy and Nation Branding: An Exploration of their Intersection in Contemporary International Relations
- The Art of Diplomacy: A Comparative Analysis of the Diplomatic Styles of Europe and Asia
- Negotiation in International Diplomacy: An Examination of Diplomatic Techniques and Strategies
- The Role of Diplomacy in Conflict Resolution: A Case Study of the Arab-Israeli Conflict
- The Ethics of Diplomacy: A Critical Analysis of Diplomatic Practices and Standards
- Diplomatic History and its Impact on Contemporary Diplomacy: A Comparative Study of European and Asian Diplomatic Traditions
- Diplomacy and Cybersecurity: The Challenges and Opportunities of Digital Diplomacy
- The Diplomatic Role of International Organizations: A Comparative Analysis of the United Nations and the European Union
- Diplomacy and Soft Power: The Impact of Culture, Sports, and Education on International Relations
- The Diplomatic Dimension of Economic Statecraft: An Examination of Diplomatic Techniques and Strategies
- Diplomatic Representation and its Role in International Relations: A Comparative Study of Embassies and Consulates
- Diplomacy and Global Health: An Exploration of Diplomatic Approaches to Health Issues
- The Impact of Diplomacy on International Trade: A Comparative Study of Regional Trade Agreements
- Diplomacy and Environmental Governance: An Examination of Diplomatic Approaches to Environmental Issues
- Diplomacy and the Responsibility to Protect: A Critical Analysis of the United Nations’ Peacekeeping Missions
- The Diplomatic Dimension of Energy Security: A Comparative Study of Energy Diplomacy in the Middle East and Europe
- The Role of Diplomacy in Humanitarian Intervention: An Exploration of Diplomatic Approaches to Conflict Prevention and Resolution
- The Future of Diplomacy: An Analysis of the Evolution of Diplomatic Practices in the 21st Century.
Chinese Financial Institutions Duplicating The IMF: Western Myths or Reality?
The Chinese major development institutions are criticized for duplicating the western development financial institutions. The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank and Belt and Road Initiative Bank are supposed to provide loans to developing countries under the cover of BRI (Belt and Road Initiative) projects to control their policy concerns for the future. These can control their policies as previously done by the IMF and World Bank.
|1||What have been the Economic impacts of China’s One belt one Road projects on Indian Economy?|
|2||How have the goals of feminists changed over the Past 5 years?|
|3||How has the Trump presidency changed international relations?|
|4||Analyze the history of the relationship between the United States and North Korea.|
|5||What factors contributed to the current decline in the rate of unemployment?|
|6||What have been the impacts of states which have increased their minimum wage?|
|7||How do US immigration laws compare to immigration laws of other countries?|
|8||How have the US’s immigration laws changed in the past few years/decades?|
|9||How has the Black Lives Matter movement affected discussions and view about racism in the US?|
|10||What impact has the Affordable Care Act had on healthcare in the US?|
|11||What factors contributed to the UK deciding to leave the EU (Brexit)?|
|12||What factors contributed to China becoming an economic power?|
|13||Discuss the history of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.|
International Relations topics Related to Afghan War
The Afghan Peace Talk incorporates all the stakeholders. The Afghan government, Local Parties, Taliban representation, USA and regional stakeholders. The Taliban constraints to include the Afghan government in peace talks and the specified timeline for the departure of USA troops raise a concern about vacuum creation in Afghanistan which can lead to civil war in the country.
You can further narrow down the topic to the issue of terrorism, women rights in Afghanistan, INDIA, Pakistan, USA, and Russia role in Afghan Crisis. US withdrawal from Afghanistan is another opportunity for the IR students to explore new topics.
You can select following topics that could make your paper interesting and up-to-date.
|1||Future of Afghanistan after US-NATO withdrawal.|
|2||The way forward in Afghanistan: US exit as a Peace Prospect.|
|3||The Iran-Taliban Relationship: Impact on Afghan Peace Process.|
|4||Pakistan India Role in Afghan Peace Process.|
|5||Security issues in context of Political violence in Afghanistan.|
|6||The Human Cost of US-NATO Presence in Afghanistan: 2001-2020|
|7||Human Rights Violations in Afghanistan under Taliban Regime vs Post 9/11.|
|8||Afghanistan at the Centre of the new Great Game: Implications for Pakistan.|
|9||Security Challenges of ISIS-Al-Qaida for Afghan Peace Talk.|
|10||The Challenges and the Benefits for U.S. National Security of Providing Foreign Assistance to Afghanistan.|
|11||A Path Forward for U.S. Government Spending in Afghanistan.|
|12||Biden’s Options for Afghanistan: Losing or Not Losing.|
|13||Lessons learnt for USA war on Afghanistan after 9/11—a debate on the positive and negative impacts.|
|14||US Policy in Afghanistan – Challenges and Policy Options for Pakistan after US exit.|
|15||How Indian Factor could impact Peace Prospects for Afghanistan.|
|16||Regional Threats and Security Strategy in Middle East and its Implications for Afghanistan.|
|17||Impact of US-Iran Relations on Afghan Peace Process.|
|18||China’s Geopolitical Ambitions and its Impact on Afghanistan Peace.|
|19||Prospects for Afghan Civilians under Biden Rule.|
|20||War Crimes in Afghanistan: Crisis of Accountability for ICJ.|
|21||An Evaluation Of Drivers For Change.|
|22||Analysis Of Brand Management In The Global Economy.|
|23||Analysis Within UK Mergers and Acquisitions.|
|24||Change Management in the Banking Sector.|
Belt and Road Initiative Topics: Regional Connectivity And Beyond
BRI is supposed to build like the Marshal Plan. The six land routes and one maritime route will connect Asia to Central Countries, Europe, Africa, and South American countries. The Marshal Plan was proposed by America to develop western Europe and OBOR is projected by China to develop other countries and achieve global connectivity. Therefore, China is accused of duplicating the Western and European model of development.
- Impact of CPEC on Pakistan’s Economy.
- Political cost of CPEC on Pakistan India relations.
- CPEC as a Game changer or a Debt Trap.
- China’s Presence in Africa: Challenging US Global World Order
- China’s engagement in Africa: Security-Development Nexus
- Scope and Consequences of Chinese investments on African Countries
- China’s foreign Policy towards Africa.
US Sanctions On Iran and it’s impact on regional peace
The sanctions on Iran started in 1979 when the American Embassy was detained in Tehran. The current scenario USA mandate for the shutdown of Iran Nuclear Program. Iran justified by saying the nuclear program is for the deterrence and national security concerns. The tension between the two is escalated by Trump’s hardcore sanctions on trade with Iran and economic suppression.
- Iran as a strategic threat to USA in middle East.
- Impact of US sanctions on Iran’s interest in Iraq.
- Impact of US Sanctions on Iran nuclear program.
- Iran militia’s impact on Israel-Palestine conflict.
- Afghanistan-Iran Relations after US Withdrawal from Afghanistan.
- Implications of US Sanctions on Iran for India/Pakistan
- The New Great Game in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Iran as a Peace Maker Role in Afghanistan after US withdrawal.
Topics Related to Biopolitics and Biopower:
|1||Biopolitics, borders, and refugee camps: exercising sovereign power over nonmembers of the state|
|2||Climate, migration, and sex: the biopolitics of climate-induced migration|
|3||The Biopolitics of Migration: Ecuadorian Foreign Policy and Venezuelan Migratory Crisis|
|4||Terrorism, organized crime and the biopolitics of violence in African Peninsula.|
|5||Human security as power/knowledge: the biopolitics of a definitional debate|
|6||Biopolitical art and the struggle for Sovereignty in Russia|
Israel-Palestine Conflict: Reason Of OIC Failure
The Organization of Muslim Cooperation (OIC) could not take stand for the Israeli occupied territories and Israel human rights violation. The OIC fail to unite Muslim leaders for unified action against the Israeli army violations. What factors can unite Muslim leaders and what factors create hurdles for unified OIC Muslims leaders?
US Foreign Policy Towards North Korea
North Korea as a revolutionary state and communist bloc is a peril to the USA as a capitalist. The USA has imposed sanctions to denuclearize its nuclear program after its initial nuclear test in 2006. The Chinese and Russian influence in the country has further escalated the tension between the two. The financial penalties are imposed on North Korea to destabilize it for nuclear proliferation programs.
Human Rights Violation In Indian Occupied Kashmir
The UN Report on Human Rights Violations in Kashmir 2018 has given a voice to the unheard. The UN was previously criticized being unresponsive towards the human rights violations despite the passing of plebiscite rights to the Kashmiri. Pakistan supports the plebiscite and their right of self-determination but Indian police ongoing desecrations still exist. The UN report held India accountable but India denied the facts. The Kashmir upholds multiple parties which have different agendas. The first type asks for a separate independent state, the second asks for a merger with India and third ask for a merger with Pakistan. This complex issue needs dire attention to bring peace in the zone and to prevent it from becoming a war zone.
Abrogation of Article 370, Domicile laws and other Draconian Laws could be an additional topics related to Kashmir issue.
IR topics Related to Yemen Conflict:
- Exploring the Role of the UN in Protecting Civil Harm in Yemen.
- Investigating the Human Rights Abuses in Yemen ( it can be Narrow down to US and its allies as well)
- Lessons to learn from the failure of the 2018 UN-led Stockholm Agreement on Yemen Ceasefire.
- Exploring the Strategies to End Humanitarian Conflict in Yemen.
- Role of US Policy Shift under Biden in Resolving Yemen Conflict.
Syrian Crisis Turn Into Civil War
The Syrian rebels upsurge and making an alliance with western countries in the form of Free Syrian Army. The forced resignation of Bashar Al Assad was in demand. The uncontrolled situation has led foreign forces and troops to intervene in the internal conflict. It has now become a global hub of terrorism and fall in the domain of international relations. The multi-group fights have turned the uprising into civil war. The foreign-sponsored terrorism and Syrian rebels are in an ongoing fight with the Syrian army. The Syrian territory is divided into two sections, labeled as; Syrian Army occupied territory and rebels occupied territory. This ongoing war zone is split into multiple groups in occupied territories.
Iran,ISIS and Syria are the major players in Syrian conflict where USA, Saudi Arabia and other western countries alliance have made this affecting other nations. Killing of Abu Al baakr Baghdadi as an ISIS leader last month can make an excellent topic for the dissertation where students can learn the impact of ISIS in this conflict.
Here are some potential topics related to the Syrian crisis turning into a civil war:
- The role of international actors in the Syrian civil war: This topic would explore the involvement of countries such as the United States, Russia, and Iran in the conflict and their impact on the outcome.
- The impact of the civil war on Syrian civilians: This topic would examine the human toll of the conflict, including displacement, loss of life, and trauma.
- The emergence of extremist groups in Syria: This topic would explore the rise of groups such as ISIS and Al Qaeda in the context of the civil war and their impact on the conflict and the region.
- The role of the Syrian government and opposition groups in the civil war: This topic would examine the strategies and tactics used by the Syrian government and opposition groups and their impact on the outcome of the conflict.
- The role of Syria’s ethnic and religious minorities in the civil war: This topic would explore how Syria’s ethnic and religious minorities have been affected by the conflict and how they have been involved in the civil war.
- The impact of the Syrian civil war on neighboring countries: This topic would examine how the conflict has affected countries such as Lebanon, Iraq, and Turkey and the role they played in the Syrian crisis.
- The role of media and propaganda in the Syrian civil war: This topic would explore how the media has been used to shape public opinion and influence the course of the conflict.
- The humanitarian response to the Syrian civil war: This topic would examine the efforts of humanitarian organizations to provide aid and assistance to those affected by the conflict, including the challenges they faced and the effectiveness of their interventions.
It’s important to keep in mind that these topics are general and the specific focus of the research will depend on the research question and the goals of the study.
Topics related to US-Russia in Ukraine war
Here are some research topics related to international relations in the context of the US-Russia conflict in the Ukraine war:
- The Role of the US and Russia in the Ukraine War: A Comparative Analysis
- The Impact of the Ukraine War on US-Russia Relations: An Empirical Study
- NATO’s Response to the Ukraine War: Implications for US-Russia Relations
- Russian Foreign Policy in the Post-Cold War Era: A Case Study of the Ukraine Conflict
- The Role of Diplomacy in Resolving the Ukraine Crisis: A Comparative Study of US and Russian Approaches
- The Impact of Economic Sanctions on US-Russia Relations during the Ukraine War
- The Ukraine War and Its Implications for Global Security: An Analysis of US and Russian Strategies
- US and Russian Propaganda Strategies in the Ukraine War: A Comparative Study
- The Impact of the Ukraine War on the European Union’s Relationship with the US and Russia
- The Ukraine War and Its Effect on the Nuclear Arms Control Treaties between the US and Russia.
Global Water Crisis
The water crisis has transformed into a global issue. An estimated 844 million people do not have an approach to hygienic drinking water worldwide. It means one out of ten individuals has to lack access to water. The UN has declared 22 March as World Water Day to present global water facts. The major areas affected include sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, cape town, Michigan, and flint. Overall 2.1 billion people are vulnerable to unsafe drinking water.
Here are some research topics related to the global water crisis for dissertations:
- The Impact of Climate Change on Global Water Resources: An Assessment of Vulnerability and Adaptation Strategies
- Water Scarcity and Conflict: An Analysis of the Linkages between Environmental Degradation and Political Instability
- Water Management in Mega-Cities: The Challenges of Providing Safe and Sustainable Water to Urban Populations
- Exploring the Potential of Water Markets in Managing Water Scarcity: An Empirical Analysis
- The Role of Women in Sustainable Water Management: A Comparative Study of Developing and Developed Countries
- The Impact of Water Footprint on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Reporting: A Case Study of the Food and Beverage Industry
- The Role of Technology in Addressing the Global Water Crisis: An Assessment of Innovative Water Technologies and Their Effectiveness
- Water Security and Its Implications for Economic Development: A Comparative Study of Water-Stressed and Water-Abundant Countries
- The Impact of Industrialization on Water Resources: An Analysis of the Relationship between Economic Growth and Water Use
- Governance and Institutions for Sustainable Water Management: An Analysis of Best Practices and Challenges in Water Management Reforms.
Looking for a unique and interesting dissertation topic in the field of International Diplomacy? Look no further! As a Phd Scholar, I’m here to help you get started on your journey towards a successful dissertation. I’m happy to offer you a list of free topic suggestions to help you find inspiration and get started. However, if you’re looking for a customized topic tailored specifically to your research interests, I’m offering a customized topic service for just $45, which includes a one-pager draft. Plus, there will be no extra charges for modification or revisions.
Click here to start chat with me on WhatsApp
So don’t wait any longer, get started on your dissertation today with a unique and customized topic that will set you on the path to academic success!